Monday 27 May 2013

Diehards at Osborne

The two of you who read this blog will no doubt remember that in an earlier post (Research) I mentioned that the Diehard reenactment group were visiting Osborne House over here on the Isle of Wight over the Bank Holiday.

Armed with my camera, two of my children and an understanding wife I went along to meet up with Tim Rose to take a few (ok, hundreds) of photos of the group in action,


The display itself was excellent, giving an overview of period drill (including bayonet drill) and then demonstrating deploying skirmishers and volley firing. The static display which was set up around the Diehard's camp was first class as well - having now seen a Martini-Henry round close up I have more than a little sympathy with the Zulu and Mahdist warriors who took on the British army in the 19th Century.

A bonus of this trip was Tim "volunteering" a couple of his members to pose for me in pictures which I could send to my sculptor.



I must have looked more than a little mad running around these guys taking pictures from every angle, but they put up with it with great patience and I can't thank them or Tim enough for their help. I just hope that the figures do them justice!

The latest news from the sculptor is that the equipment is underway so hopefully it won't be too long before I can post pictures of some greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment